Howards-Home

Thursday, August 28, 2008

New Friends in Advocacy


While in DC at the National Alliance to End Homelessness Conference last month, I had the chance to meet consumer advocates who are doing GREAT things around the USA.

I met Diane Sullivan of Boston MA, a consumer advocate teaching homeless families to act politically and advocate for themselves and others. Bet she could teach me a thing or two about advocacy, and she has a great smile!


I also made a friend of Joe out of Delaware, working with the Delaware AIDS Coalition. Health issues created a situation that led to homelessness for Joe, but now he is helping others out of the same spot. He has so much positive energy and enthusiasm. Go, Joe!


Here's hoping we keep in touch...maybe Joe or Diane will check in on my blog sometime and post a comment! Guys if you are reading this, I am sending my love!

4 Comments:

  • At 12:22 PM , Blogger Joe said...

    Howard...

    How are you? Sorry it has taken so long to get a chance to visit your blog, but as you are very well aware, "An advocates work is never done." I have been soo busy since the confrence. I have even been offered a couple of oppertunities to do some classes for High School
    and University students. I am so proud of you and the work you do. Meeting you was one of the highlights of the confrence for me.

    Thank you so much for all your hard work, and also for being a friend.

    All my best,

    Joe

     
  • At 1:35 PM , Blogger Howard Jackson said...

    Hey, man, Joe! I have been having some ups and downs lately, but I am still hanging in there. That's great about the opportunities to speak at high schools and universities. That is some of my favorite advocacy work.
    Love,
    Howard

     
  • At 4:29 PM , Blogger Howard Jackson said...

    Meeting you was very good for me as well. What schools were you offered to do classes at? Well I'm glad you took the time out to have a look at my blog entry

     
  • At 9:47 PM , Blogger Hannah said...

    Dear Howard,
    I know you from mission trips that I take down to Savannah. You have probably met many people and watched many cry from your touching story. I was one of them. One way you might be able to remeber me is you gave me a book on my second vistit called GROUND ZERO BY RON COOK. In it you wrote your initials and love. Anyways I have been thinking about you a lot lately and I miss you Howard. I hope to come and visit you soon. Please email me so we can stay in touch. my email is boosports@bellsouth.net love always hannah smith

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home